Our client is a top Construction company with significant North American holdings. They are based in Etobicoke.
Position Title: Payroll Manager
Position Reports To: Vice President of Finance
The Payroll Manager manages all payroll functions, calculates earnings/deductions for Company’s bi-weekly payroll, and issues pay and pay-related information to our staff. Our Payroll Manager serves as the primary point of contact for all payroll-related issues, including payroll policies, procedures, taxes, timekeeping, and processing. Maintains payroll information, directs the collection, calculation, and entering of payroll data. Manages and administers all government reporting and compliance requirements for payroll taxes, withholding, and employer contributions and keeps abreast of changing regulations. Meets all reporting requirements for garnishments, income withholding orders, and tax levies.
What you will achieve in this role:
- Administer and run bi-weekly payrolls in accordance with operating procedures and deadlines, ensuring that all payrolls are processed efficiently, effectively, accurately, and are paid on time, working to strict deadlines.
- Manage and oversee the payroll function, including quarterly and annual tax returns, T’4’s, amendments, prior years’ discrepancies, and audits.
- Maintain payroll information, analyze, prepare, and input payroll data. Processes payroll for hourly and salaried employees.
- Supervise corporate payroll function, oversee maintenance of payroll system, and determine resolution for routine payroll-related issues. Recommend options/solutions for unusual situations to senior leadership.
- Lead and manage key activities, including timekeeping, PTO/leave policy, termination processing, pay group assignment, one-time payments, garnishments, election verification, and other routine payroll processing activities.
- Act as the primary contact for all payroll-related questions and issues.
- Act as the primary contact for all Group Benefits related questions and issues.
- Act as the primary contact for all WCB/WSIB/CNEST Insurable related questions and issues.
- Manage the off-cycle pay process and any required retro pay processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a related business/finance program preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of high-volume payroll processing experience.
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience supporting employees in Industrial, Construction, or Commercial environments.
- Must have Union experience, including union payroll and union due deductions.
What you will bring to this role:
- Extensive knowledge of federal, provincial, and local labor regulations relating to payroll processing.
- Thorough knowledge of complex payroll processing regulations, including Employment Standards Act overtime average (regular rate of pay), union pay.
- High ethical standards, ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to collect, research & and resolve payroll information.
- Highly driven and proactive; takes initiative to seek opportunities for improvement in the organization.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, think critically, and exercise delegated decision making.
- Strong problem-solving skills, innovative thinker, proactive, and flexible.
- Thrives in a KPI-driven environment.
- Ability to build trust and work through conflict both upwards and downwards.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 20 pounds.
- No adverse environmental conditions expected.
What's in it for you?
Being a member of the Company family, a group of people united by our Purpose: to help Clients and Employees achieve lifetime financial security and live healthier lives.
- A friendly, collaborative, and inclusive culture.
- Group Benefits to meet the needs of you and your family.
- RRSP Pension programs to help build and enhance your future financial security.
- Wellness programs that support the three pillars of your health – mental, physical, and financial.
- Employee free parking.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
Our client is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion; creating an inclusive environment where all team members and clients feel like they belong. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, Aboriginal/Native American status, or any other legally-protected factors. We seek applicants with a wide range of abilities, and we provide an accessible candidate experience; accommodations during the application process are available upon request.