Our client is a fully diversified private property development company that has been carrying out land development, construction, and property management in Canada and the United States for more than 50 years. They are one of Toronto's most experienced and innovative real estate development companies and have earned a reputation for award-winning construction quality, beautiful designs, and efficient living spaces.
The Project Accountant will play a key role to provide reliable, timely, and efficient support and reporting for pre-development, construction, and closing projects for cost consultants, and internal and external partners. The position entails the preparation of monthly and annual financial statements and providing meaningful analysis of said statements. You will assist in the budgeting and forecasting process and maintain the full accounting cycle for development projects.
What you will achieve in this role:
- Oversee the full accounting cycle for multiple development projects.
- Perform monthly calculations, reconciliations, and recording of revenues, management fees, and interest for each project.
- Perform month-end close and ensure the recording of all pertinent transactions; including setting up monthly accruals and properly documenting journal entries.
- Prepare monthly construction draws and coordinate with cost consultants.
- Coordinate with the operations and other teams to process monthly property financials (i.e. invoice coding, purchase orders, project details and variance analysis) as needed.
- Perform regular bank and trust deposit reconciliations.
- Set up project budgets, change orders and estimate in the accounting system; implement control and maintenance activities.
- Prepare and process cash calls, record and reconcile project distributions/ contributions.
- Assist in cash flow reconciliations and analysis.
- Prepare internal and external partner reporting for each project including support for GL balances.
- Assist in monthly compliance reporting to lenders, government, and partners.
- Identify and implement process re-engineering opportunities.
- Ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Standards (IFRS and ASPE), internal audit and client accounting services and internal review standards.
What you must bring to this role:
- 3+ years of experience working in an accounting role in a project environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field
- CPA designation, or close to completion
- Advanced Analytical Skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheet applications required; experience with real estate accounting software a plus (JDE, NEWSTAR, YARDI).
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- Team player attitude and willingness to help with ad-hoc requests
Only Qualified candidates will be contacted